0 items £0.00

Ejaculation problems - Diagnosing ejaculation problems

If you have an ejaculation problem, you will usually become aware of it through your own sexual behaviour or discussion with your partner. The next step is to visit your GP who will discuss the problem with you and either examine you or refer you to a specialist.

Family and medical history

Depending on the nature of your problem, you may be asked questions about your family medical history and any underlying health conditions you may have, such as:

You will also be asked about your sexual and emotional health. While you may find it embarrassing to talk about, answering questions about the type and pattern of your symptoms is an important step towards making sure that you receive the most effective treatment.

Read more about the symptoms associated with ejaculation problems.

Your GP or specialist will want to know if you have had an injury or surgery to your pelvic area, what medications you are taking, and about aspects of your lifestyle, such as how much alcohol you drink.

Further testing

rectal examination may be carried out in people over 50 years old to check for an enlarged prostate gland. Your blood pressure and heart rate may also be measured.

Blood and urine samples may be taken to check your hormone and cholesterol levels. Your GP, or specialist, may also carry out a visual examination of the pelvic area to check for injury or infection.


Cholesterol is a fatty substance made by the body that lives in blood and tissue. It is used to make bile acid, hormones and vitamin D.
Blood supplies oxygen to the body and removes carbon dioxide. It is pumped around the body by the heart.
High blood pressure
Hypertension is when the pressure of the blood in your bloodstream is regularly above 140/90 mmHG.
The heart is a muscular organ that pumps blood around the body.

© Crown Copyright 2009

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.